St Nicolas Choir
Our robed choir sings weekly at the 9.30 am service and at
the 6.00 pm Evensong. We also sing regularly at weddings and on other special
occasions throughout the year.
Choir Practice for children is on Sunday mornings from 11.15 to 12.00, while the adults meet on Friday evenings from 7.30 to 9.00 in St Nicolas Church.
New members of the choir are always welcome. We are looking for singers of all ages to sing Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass. Children over the age of 6 are particularly welcome to join the choir.
No previous singing experience is required; the children participate in the Voice for Life programme of the Royal School of Church Music, and earn badges and other awards as their musical skills develop.
If you are interested, please click here to e-mail David Martin, Director of Music.
Director of Music/Organist
We seek a Director of Music/Organist committed to nurturing singers of all ages and capabilities.
• We are a liberal catholic middle-ground Anglican Church. We are also a member of the Inclusive Church Network.
• St Nicolas is easily the largest church in the Benefice of Witham and Villages - which consists of six parishes, served by a ministry team of three full-time clergy and a Curate in training. Music plays a central role in our church - our building is mediæval (mainly 14th century.) We are also the Civic Church for Witham.
• There is a vibrant, committed robed choir (SATB) of both children and adults.
• We have a wide range of church music from mediæval to modern, including works specially written for us. We use Ancient and Modern (2013), there is an Anthem during the morning eucharist, and at Evensong.
• We sing a congregational communion setting (currently Ledger and Thorne, amongst others) and anglican chant is used for Psalms and canticles at Evensong, except for once a month when full choral Evensong is sung.
• Other services in the Church’s Year which involve choral singing currently include an Advent Service, Carols by Candlelight, a Palm Sunday evening service (which may include Stainer’s Crucifixion or similar). There are services on each day of Holy Week, some of which involve the choir.
• We installed brand new organ 20 years ago, designed specially for the building by Kenneth Tickell.
• We also have a biennial organ scholarship to encourage a young person interested in learning to play the organ and conduct a choir.
The role involves leading Sunday worship for the Eucharist and Evensong, Church Festivals, playing for Weddings and Funerals, holding regular choir practices, and having monthly meetings with our Rector to agree music for forthcoming services. Our Director also oversees and chooses a suitable young person for our biennial Organ Scholarship.
We are looking for a people person to help grow our choir, and who will make singing enjoyable and engaging within the Anglican choral tradition.
๏ Start: April 2024 (or earlier by arrangement)
๏ Salary: £7k-£10K (negotiable depending on qualifications and experience ) plus fees
๏ Enhanced DBS required
๏ Closing date for applications: October 16 2023
๏ Interviews: October 30 2023
๏ Further details: www.withamparishchurch.org.uk
For an application please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For an informal conversation contact Rev Dr Jonathan Pritchard tel: 07468 57511